Prior to starting my weight loss efforts you could say that I was never much of a salad eater. However, nowadays I crave a good salad at least a couple of times a week. This is a SUPER easy healthy chicken salad recipe that I’m especially fond of becasue it tastes amazing.
One misconception about salads is that they’re not filling. This can certainly be the case with a big plate of lettuce and maybe some other veggies sprinkled on top. This salad, however, has plenty of “heft” to it to satisfy even my big appetite without going overboard in calories. And we’re not skipping the protein, either!
Ingredients for the Healthy Chicken Salad Recipe:
- Chicken breast, 7 oz
- Chopped lettuce, 100 grams
- Spinach, 100 grams
- Bell pepper, 1 medium
- Banana pepper, 1 cup
- Jalapeno pepper, 1 cup
- Onion, 1/2 large
- Extra virgin olive oil, 1.5 Tbsp
- Vegetable oil, 1/2 Tbsp
- All Spice, few shakes
- Kickin’ chicken seasoning, few shakes
- Curry powder, few shakes
Tip – make sure you use fresh vegetables in your salad. Skip any ingredients that are questionable. Believe it or not that does make a difference.
Note: avocado wasn’t used (wasn’t ripe!)
1) Chop the veggies to a preferred size (bite sized).
2) Add the vegetable oil to a cooking sheet, apply the chick and veggies, rub the chicken and veggies in the oil. Apply the spices and seasoning to veggies and chicken.
3) Place the cooking sheet in a an oven at 450 degrees for about 18 minutes or until thoroughly cooked. Always make sure to fully cook meats. Note: this is the temp and timing that worked in my oven, yours may differ.
4) Pull it out of the oven once cooked
6) Chop the chicken into bite size pieces and mix the ingredients.
7) Add the olive oil and enjoy!
- (7 oz) chicken breast = 350
- (100 grams) chopped lettuce = 25
- (100 grams) spinach = 25
- (medium) bell pepper = 25
- (1 cup) banana pepper = 25
- (1 cup) jalapeno pepper = 15
- (1/2) onion = 30
- (1.5 Tbsp) extra virgin olive oil = 180
- (1/2 Tbsp) vegetable oil = 60
- (few shakes) All Spice = 0
- (few shakes) Kickin’ chicken seasoning = 0
- (few shakes) Curry powder = 0
Total = 735 calories
Some might say that’s a lot of calories to be considered a healthy chicken salad. Well, this does make a very large salad… there is definitely a lot of food here. However, it may be too big for some people, but you can always tweak the portion sizes.
Also, don’t forget, if the portion size above is too much for one meal maybe you can make two meals out of it. Eat half now and throw the other half in some Tupperware then in the fridge for lunch tomorrow!
The portions in this recipe are what I use for a dinner portion to satisfy my appetite, and it works. Believe it or not, a 735 calorie dinner is actually a low calorie dinner for some people (me), and it’s literally packed with healthy ingredients, so I don’t feel bad gobbling it down at all.
Well, that’s all there is to it! Yes, it’s simple enough for anyone to create.
As with any of my creations, there’s certainly lots of room for improvement. Please feel free to post a tip/comment to me on how to improve this salad. I’d really appreciate it.